Tuesday 13 November 2012

Alienating Customers through Mobile

I'm an avid Android fan, always have and probably always will be.  I consider myself a geek, and for me its all about the spec of a Phone / Computer / TV etc.  I have always considered Iphones a bit pretentious and what's under the bonnet is not worth the price tag.  You can get better spec phones for a lot less, so in my eyes its not worth the money.  Now I would like to put something straight, I'm not a hater of all things Apple, far from it.  Macs are so worth the money, and that's because what's inside warrants spending extra.

Anyway, this isn't a blog about reasons for liking or not liking Iphones, its about Apps for Apple and Android. For a long time I have always been jealous that some Apps were available for Iphone and not on Android, however there has been a shift of more equality as the Android market share has increased.  I think a lot of companies have started trying to have their Apps available on both platforms at the same time.

Current figures suggest that Android has a 68% market share compared to Apple at 17%.  Now going on this figures you would at least think that companies would develop Android Apps first due to it being available to more customers.

I recently signed up for Virgin Media when we moved house as I wanted fibre optic broadband, phone & TV.  Virgin in the last week or so have just launched their TV Anywhere service which allows streaming of TV to Mobiles, Tablets and Computers.

Now the major issue for me is that this service is only available on Iphone and Ipad, and the Android version isn't due for release until March next year.  Surely Virgin are alienating all their Android owning customers by releasing this service to one platform and not another.  There was a time that this would have been acceptable as Apple had the market share, but come off it Virgin.  Surely you did some research with regards to market share before you released this App.  Even if you couldn't have been bothered to research it you could have developed them at the same time.

Does anyone else agree with this?

Now I appreciate Mobile Apps are expensive to develop, however for a company Virgins size it should be able to develop them at the same time.  Poor show Virgin.  You certainly have one annoyed Android customer.

No comments:

Post a Comment